Finally! I am done with my cowl, just in time for summer At least I’ll have it for next winter.
I thought I would share this pattern with you guys. It’s based on this block, but I’ve changed it and making a cowl is different than making a block. I’m going to go straight into the pattern now. As it’s a little tricky, but I didn’t want to clutter the pattern with explanations that might be unnecessary for some people, at the end of the pattern I will have a list of tips and tricks.
- 8 oz skein of worsted weight (or smaller) yarn
- K/10-6.5mm hook
Stitch Guide (see Tips an Tricks for more info)
- Foundation Half Double Crochet (Fhdc)– Ch 3, yo, insert hook in 3rd chain from hook, yarn over and pull up loop (3 loops on hook), yo and draw through 1 loop (1 chain made), yo and draw through all loops on hook—1 foundation half double crochet. *Yo, insert hook under the “chain” of last stitch and pull up loop, yarn over and draw through 1 loop, yo and draw through all loops on hook; repeat from * for length of foundation.
- Front Post Double Treble Stitch (Fpdtr)–yo 3 times, insert hook around post of indicated stitch, yo and draw up a loop, (yo and draw through 2 loops on hook) 4 times.
R1: 29 Fhdc.
R2: ch 1, turn, sc in each stitch across (29).
R3: ch 1, turn, hdc in first stitch *skip 4 stitches, Fpdtr around next three hdc, hdc in 4th sc from last hdc, Fpdtr around 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fhdc (working in front of last 3 fpdtr), hdc in 4th sc from last hdc.* Repeat * * two more times. sc in remaining 4 st (29).
R4: ch 1, turn, sc in each stitch across (29).
R5: ch 1, turn, hdc in first 5 stitchs *skip 4 stitches, Fpdtr around next three hdc, hdc in 4th sc from last hdc, Fpdtr around 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fhdc (working behind last 3 fpdtr), hdc in 4th sc from last hdc.* Repeat * * two more times (29).
R6-89: repeat rows 2-5
R90: sl last row to fhdc (29).
Tips & Tricks
- I really recommend using a hook AT LEAST a few sizes bigger than what the yarn usually calls for, otherwise it will be very tight and not at all drapey like a cowl should be
- For more detailed descriptions of stitches in stitch guide with pictures, follow the link in their names.
- For a skinnier or wider cowl subtract or add 8 fhdc resp.
- Chain 1 at beginning of rows does NOT count as stitch
- initially your criss-crosses may be slightly bunched, but after the row of sc it should straighten out and look a little more like this. As you continue, it will straighten out even more.
- Here are some pictures of how the intermediate steps look:
If you really like the design, but don’t want to make it it’s available (along with other items) for sale in my etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/myshopwithlove